Position Title: Grounds Assistant
Reports to: Garden and Arboretum Manager
Classification: Part Time, Seasonal, Non-Exempt
Date: July 2021
Position Summary: Under the direction of the Garden and Arboretum Manager the Grounds Assistant maintains Yew Dell’s turf areas through mowing, weed control, edging, trimming and other maintenance related tasks. The Grounds Assistant will also work alongside horticulture apprentices, interns, seasonal staff and volunteers in garden maintenance such as pruning, mulching planting and weeding.
- Maintain all turf grass, paths, fence lines, parking lots and terrace areas in a clean and presentable condition at all times
- Work with the Garden and Arboretum Manager to implement weed control measures in garden spaces concentrating on sustainable practices
- Assist the horticulture staff in mulching, pruning, leaf removal, and equipment maintenance
- Other duties as assigned by the Garden and Arboretum Manager
- At least three years of experience in turf grass and/or grounds management, or other related fields
- Ability to operate and maintain a variety of power equipment such as zero turn mowers, string trimmers, power seeders, backpack blowers, tractors, etc.
- Ability to be on foot for long periods of time and lift up to 50 pounds.
- Efficient and productive work style to allow maximum efficient use of limited resources
- Openness to and enthusiasm for learning new techniques, products and approaches
- Ability to work well with other Yew Dell staff, board, committee members and volunteers
- Must have or be able to obtain a Kentucky pesticide applicator license
- Must be willing to work non-standard hours as needed
- Must have reliable transportation
To apply send your resume to:
Yew Dell Botanical Gardens
6220 Old LaGrange Road
Crestwood, KY 40014
Or email to: